Tonight, the oven was totally turned off too as I continued my salad/grill plan. And I almost completely screwed this one up because it requires an hour of marinating, which I completely forgot about until one of my neighbors asked me about the recipe. She has three kids under 4 (!!) and is more on top of my recipes than me. Awesome.
Luckily, I managed to pull it together and you know what else was awesome? The marinade.
Korean-Style Beef Tacos
Source: Cooking Light, June 2012
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 5 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp chile paste
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz flank steak, sliced against the grain into thin strips
- 1/8 tsp salt (skip)
- 6-inch corn tortillas
- Combine first 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a shallow dish. Add steak, cover. Marinate in fridge for an hour, turning after 30 mins.
- Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade. Thread steak onto skeweres, sprinkle with salt. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 2 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Grill tortillas 30 seconds on each side or until lightly charred. Divide steak onto tortillas.
Per serving: 270 cals; 6.3g fat (1.6g sat; 2g mono; 1.4g poly); 18.1g protein; 37.1g carb; 21mg chol; 568mg sodium; 3g fiber
We also had brown rice tossed with a tablespoon of sesame oil, per the suggestion of Cooking Light.
No chopping. No oven. No stove. Chef Hubs once again manning the grill. Great! We all really liked the marinade. I can't necessarily comment on how "Korean" these tacos truly were, but they were pretty delish. I found the grilling of the tortillas pretty pointless and in fact they ended up a little chewy. I would probs just use my whole-wheat low carb wraps next time (or no-salt hard taco shells). The sesame oil added to the rice was a waste of calories. I don't know that the boys even noticed.
Three forks because the main event - the steak - was really good. The rest was meh.