Monday Madness - get it?!
Soooo, that's why I decided to make a chili that we could just have on hand and eat at will. I do have meals planned should the kid's team lose tonight, just in case we can actually have a family dinner once this week. Cue sad mom.
Now, I have plenty of recipes for vegetarian chilis, but none of them were striking my fancy during meal-planning time.
Black Bean Salsa Chili
Source: Cooking Light, October 2009
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (used no-salt added)
- 2/3 c. water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
- 1/2 c. chopped red pepper
- 3 sweet hickory smoked bacon slices, chopped (skip)
- 1.5 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1.5 c. mild salsa (used Newman's Own - it's low sodium!)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (used no-salt added)
- 14 oz fat-free, less-sodium beef broth (used no-salt added)
- 1/2 c reduced fat sour cream (skip)
- 1/4 c. fresh cilantro (skip)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Combine 1.5 c. beans, 2/3 c. water and sugar in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine bean puree and remaining beans in a bowl.
- Heat a large saucepan over med-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey and cook 3 mins or until browned. Remove turkey from pan.
- Add onion, peppers and bacon to pan, cook 5 mins or until bacon and onion are slightly browned(Note: I added a touch of EVOO to make up for lack of bacon grease). Return turkey to pan. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and crushed red pepper to pan, stir well to coat. Stir in bean mixture, salsa, tomato paste, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Combine sour cream, cilantro and lime juice in a small bowl. Serve with chili.
Per serving: 199 calories; 6.2g fat (2.6g sat, 1.9g mono, 1.2g poly); 14.8g protein; 22g carb; 5.9g fiber; 34mg chol; 740mg sodium
I don't know how this tastes because it is still simmering as I type this. I can tell you it took a while to put together, so this is not a great weeknight meal if you are in a rush. However, I am not in a rush because I am sitting here alone (present company of dog and cat and sleeping baby upstairs excluded). Again, cue sad mom.
|Action shot of simmering goodness|