Pork chops and applesauce. Say it with me.
While we didn't have the applesauce part of the meal, every time I make pork chops, I channel my inner Peter Brady. (Side note, b/c I am neither a middle child nor a boy, my inner Peter Brady is fairly limited to this reference. But I do kind of have a mini-obsession with all things Brady.)
Anyway, after forcing the hubs to eat silly things like zucchini and more zucchini and salad greens, tonight I prepared a meal that I knew he'd like - pork chops and mashed potatoes. Of course, I prepared them my way! The boys also had Alexia rolls, the kid and I added broccoli.
Asiago-Crusted Pork Chops
Source: Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast (2010)
- 4- 4oz boneless center-cut loin pork chops
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c panko crumbs
- 1/4c (1oz) grated Asiago cheese (used Romano - bought the entirely wrong thing)
- 1/4 tsp salt (skip)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (skip)
- 1 tbsp evoo (used canola - ran out of olive oil)
- 4 lemon wedges (skip)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (skip)
- Place pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to an even thickness (about 1/4 inch) using a meat mallet or a small heavy skillet.
- Place egg white in a shallow dish. Combine panko, cheese, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dip pork in egg white; dredge in panko mixture, pressing gently with fingers to coat.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add pork cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Squeeze lemon wedge over each chop, sprinkle evenly with thyme.
Per serving: Calories: 253; Fat: 12g (sat 4.1g, mono 5.4g, poly 1g); Protein 27.4g; Carb: 6.2g; Fiber: 0.6g; Chol: 71mg; Sodium: 297mg; Calc: 83mg
Microwave Smashed Potatoes
Source: Cooking Light June 2011
- 4 6-oz baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (didn't peel - I like the skin)
- 1/2 c reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 c. 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives (skip)
- 1/2 tsp salt (skip)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place potato pieces in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, cut a 1-inch slit in the center of plastic wrap.
- Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes.
- Add sour cream and remaining ingredients to bowl; mash with a potato masher.
Per serving: Calories: 225; Fat: 4.5g (sat 2.5g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.2g); Protein: 5.6g; Carb: 42.6g; Fiber: 2.8g; Chol: 13mg; Iron: 0.8mg; Sodium: 333mg; Calc: 78mg
The kid - who has finally figured out that I'm doing this whole challenge and "website" - told me the pork chops were OUTSTANDING and AWESOME. The potatoes, however, got two mini-bites and a look of disgust. The hubs and I both thought the overall meal was good. What I liked was that the smashed potatoes cooked while I prepared the pork chops, so it was all done at approx. the same time. That's a big deal for me - I like serving HOT food and having it all done at the same time. I don't know how different the pork chops would have tasted if I hadn't screwed up and bought the wrong cheese, but the hubs didn't complain one bit.