Saturday, August 6, 2011

The War of the Truffles

Today I attended a "Blessingway Bead Ceremony" for a gf who is due with her FOURTH at the end of this month. What a lovely day with a great group of friends.

For the occasion, I made Oreo Truffles. Well neither "clean" or particularly good for you, these super-easy chocolate truffles are always a hit, and today was no exception.

However, what has erupted is a mini-war in my family over said truffles. I have made them multiple times over the past several years, and when I told my mother and hubs that this was it until next year, neither were particularly thrilled with me - mostly because they weren't the recipients of the truffles. Considering I have about five billion dessert recipes (and put a couple aside for them), I think they'll survive.

Oreo Truffles
Source: Fall 2006 Kraft Food & Family

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg (1lb, 2oz) Oreo cookies, divided
  • 1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 pkg (8oz each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted

Directions:
  • Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in a food processor, reserve for later use. (I used a mallet since I have never learned how to use my fancy, wedding-present Cuisinart. Don't judge)
  • Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs, place in a medium bowl.
  • Add cream cheese, mix until well blended.
  • Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls (I NEVER get this many, btw).
  • Dip balls in chocolate, place on wax paper-covered baking sheet.
  • Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs (I never do this).
  • Refrigerate until firm, about one hour. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator. (I usually refrigerate overnight)
For easy dipping, place truffle ball in melted chocolate to coat, roll and lift from chocolate using 2 forks, allowing excess chocolate to run off, before placing on wax paper.

I have no clue what the nutritional value is for these - I can't imagine they are calorie- and fat-free.

Reviews
Per usual, the truffles were a big hit - and in addition to my mother, got a couple of "you aren't making these for another year?!" comments from the crew!

Oreo Truffles. Not one of my cell phone pics, btw, since the quality would result in the truffles looking like a big pile of...

No comments:

Post a Comment