Tonight is a grill night, so I decided to whip up a super-quick homemade BBQ sauce from one of my favorite sources, Clean Eating magazine.
A note about Clean Eating: A few years ago, when I decided to revamp my eating habits (and my entire family's, btw), I happened upon Clean Eating magazine. It was honestly everything I was looking for: healthy, low-sodium recipes that are easy to prepare, with family-friendly options and not totally wacky ingredients. Major score, people. If you haven't, check it out.
Sweet Tomato Barbecue Chicken
Source: Clean Eating, April/May 2011
Note: The recipe in its entirety includes homemade slaw and grilled bread. I just made the BBQ sauce portion tonight. Therefore, I won't include the nutritional breakdown.
- 4 4oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- Ground pepper (skip)
- 1/4 c. no-salt added tomato paste
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (just used whatever syrup we had on hand)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (skip)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp EVOO (had to use canola - out of evoo)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/2 c. water, tomato paste, vinegar, maple syrup, Worcestershire, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper flakes,
- Bring sauce to a boil on medium-high heat, continue boiling for 3-4 minutes or until mixture reduces to 1/2 c.
- Remove from heat, stir in oil, divide sauce between 2 small bowls and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle black pepper on both sides of chicken breasts. Place chicken on grill or grill pan and cook for 3 minutes on medium-high. Flip chicken over, brush 2 tbsp sauce over top and cook for 3 minutes. Again, flip chicken over, brush with 2 tbsp sauce and cook for one minute. Finally, flip chicken over and spoon remaining sauce over and spoon remaining 1/4 c. sauce over top. Cook for one more minute or until no longer pink in center.
|Two small bowls!|
Clean plate club all around! We each paired the meal with leftovers from previous meals (mashed potatoes, pasta salad), and this was a home run with everyone.
|Who doesn't love grilled chicken?|