Thursday, August 25, 2011

Turkey Rolls

Tonight's recipe comes courtesy of Weight Watchers. I am not on the Weight Watchers program because I don't have a big desire to count points or whatever, but I do count calories (and sodium!) and watch my portions, so I totally get the program and hey - whatever works, works. And seriously - how good does JHud look?

Although I'm not a devotee, I do like WW recipes. I have a few of their cookbooks, and also subscribe to the magazine. The recipes are generally easy, quick, healthy and tasty - all winners in my book.

Turkey Rolls Cordon Bleu
Source: Weight Watchers "Make It In Minutes" cookbook

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/4 pound turkey cutlets, raw
  • 4 (1-ounce) slices of reduced-sodium ham
  • 2 (1-ounce) slices of reduced fat Swiss cheese, halved
  • 3 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs (I used panko crumbs)
  • 1 tbsp reduced-calorie mayo (I used honey mustard)
  • 1/4 c. dry white wine
  • 1/4 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tsp butter
Directions:
  • Top each cutlet with a slice of ham and then a half slice of cheese. Roll up jelly-roll fashion and secure with toothpicks.
  • Spread the bread crumbs on a plate or a sheet of wax paper. Brush the turkey rolls with mayo (or whatever); dip in the crumbs, pressing down to coat.
  • Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the turkey rolls and saute until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, broth, and butter; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the turkey is cooked through and the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes longer.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 234 calories; 6g total fat (3g sat); 95mg cholesterol; 434mg sodium; 5g carbs; 0g fiber; 37g protein; 125mg calcium

Reviews:
Again - a super easy recipe. We have soccer practice on Thursday night, so I don't want anything that will take too much time. And, even though I was running a little bit behind in getting started (yapping with some of my favorite chickas), I was still able to get this done fairly quickly. We also had brown rice and asparagus, and the boys had Alexia rolls. Everyone gave this recipe a big thumbs up. Do note: The actual portion size is kind of small, so I made extras. The hubs had 3 of the rolls.

Side notes:
I do not typically eat any form of lunch meat. In general, I don't really like it that much, and furthermore, it is not particularly healthy - even the low-fat, "low" sodium varieties (at least IMO). However, I will make exceptions when an interesting recipe calls for it, like tonight's dish. And, one slice of low-sodium ham once a year probably won't do too much harm, right?




Totally forgot to take a picture, so this is from the book. Obvs my version looked just like this


No comments:

Post a Comment