I think zucchini has officially overstayed its welcome in our house (and probably on this blog?!). The hubs might also argue that Meatless Monday has overstayed its welcome as well, but that's a battle he won't win. I like Meatless Monday - it's kind of like a personal challenge to figure out what recipes the hubs and kid will eat without complaining too much.
Source: Prevention Magazine, March 2011
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used minced)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5c crushed tomatoes
- 1c water
- 1 can (4oz) mild diced chiles, drained
- 1pkg (8oz) corn tortillas (6" diameter)
- 1 1/4c shredded Monetary Jack
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, water and chiles and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Coat 1 side of each tortilla with oil (I used cooking spray) and cut into 1" strips. Put on baking sheet and bake until crisps, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees F.
- Layer half of the tortilla strips in a 2-quart baking dish and top with half of the sauce and cheese. Add remaining tortilla strips, sauce and cheese. Bake uncovered until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: 314 cals; 14g protein; 37g carb; 7g fiber; 14g fat (7g sat); 420mg sodium
Side Dish: Zucchini Chile-Cheddar Mash
Source: Eating Well, July/August 2011
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1.25 pounds zucchini (2-3 medium), halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit)
- 1/2c grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; stir to coat.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until very soft and lightly browned, 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in chiles and salt, cook until heated through, 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher until chunky, not completely smooth.
- Stir in cheese and serve immediately.
Per serving: 126 calories; 9g fat (3g sat, 4g mono); 15mg cholesterol; 8g carbs; 0g added sugars; 6g protein; 2g fiber; 307mg sodium; 442 mg potassium. Bonus: Vitamin C: 55% daily value
I think I was the only one who actually enjoyed the entire dinner. The tortilla lasagna was easy to make, and I thought it was filling. I also really, really liked the zucchini mash. Super easy and a great, healthy side.
But that was me. Neither the kid nor the hubs liked the zucchini mash, and the kid only ate about 1/2 his tortilla lasagna portion (although it was kind of a big piece). And though he ate his entire portion, the hubs thought the tortilla lasagna was "OK" - mostly, as he pointed out to me (AGAIN), he is a carnivore and doesn't enjoy Meatless Monday no matter what.
|At least I liked dinner tonight!|