As witnessed in earlier posts, it is sometimes necessary for Chef Hubs to take the reigns when HF is otherwise detained. Tonight, a little evening workout with her trainer extraordinaire meant that Chef Hubs was left to prepare dinner. Let's just say that this evening's role reversal wasn't exactly Oscar-worthy.
Source: Cooking Light
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 6-oz salmon fillets (used 2 fillets, all that was in the bag)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. grated lemon rind (omitted)
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt (omitted)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Combine first three ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal & marinate in refrigerator one hour, turning occasionally
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove fish from bag, discard marinade. Combine brown sugar and next five ingredients in a bowl. Rub over fish, place in 11 x 17 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Well, this one was doomed from the start. The directions on the bag of frozen salmon said to thaw for 24 hours. Instead, I used a quicker method that I've seen on other packages of frozen fish. The one-hour marinade was going to take too long, so I ended up marinating and thawing the salmon in less than an hour total.
After baking the fish even a little longer than suggested in the recipe, my wife looked at her piece of salmon with some trepidation. I think she feared food poisoning was a distinct possibility. The kid seemed to enjoy as he devoured his helping. I thought it tasted pretty good, and the wife was kind enough to take 5-6 bites.
I also made rice to go with it, which turned out too watery. It ended up somewhat acceptable. HF and the kid also ate broccoli.