It is because of this weird issue with veggies that the hubs decided long ago that he did not like Chinese food of any kind, except for a random egg roll or fried rice. Which probs doesn't really count. He thinks that all Chinese food has way too many veggies for his liking. However, since I embarked on my clean eating adventure a few years back, I have discovered many stir-fry-type recipes that he has now embraced. One might even say that he no longer despises Chinese food. And while we won't be frequenting a Chinese restaurant anytime soon (the sodium!), I do take full credit for this turn around.
Oh - and that's not the only turn around happening here. How 'bout my Buckeyes and our new coach? Our sub par season will surely be a distant memory come next year. (You knew I'd weave in Ohio State somehow, right?)
Hoisin Pork Stir-Fry
Source: Weight Watchers Make It In Minutes, 2001
- 3/4 lbs boneless pork loin, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 c. broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1/4 c. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- Cook rice.
- Combine the pork, sherry, soy sauce and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat until nearly smoking. Add the broccoli and red pepper and stir-fry for 2 mins. Add the pork and stir-fry for 4 mins. Add the oj, hoisin sauce and honey, and cook until pork is cooked through. Serve over rice.
Per serving: 313 cals; 6g total fat (2g sat); 54mg chols; 453mg sodium; 43g carbs; 22g protein
I thought this was a little sweet for my taste - and although the recipe says that it is under 500mg sodium/serving, I kind of feel all sodium-bloaty right now. In case you are wondering, I also feel pretty tired right now too. Anywho, I did like how the broccoli and red pepper turned out. The boys both enjoyed it - the kid finished pretty much his entire serving, and there are plenty of leftovers.
Two Forks (sodium bloat!)
|Will sweat out the sodium at spinning tomorrow 5:30a!|