You might remember that the kid has a thing for turkey tacos, and went into a small tailspin when I announced the challenge to him re: the lack of turkey tacos in his future.
Luckily for him, I have many taco recipes at hand - including tonight's main event. I actually scheduled this meal for tomorrow, but I had my days totally confused (play date! basketball practice! oh my!) so I pulled a quickie (ha) switcheroo b/c this one required so little prep work and time. My kind 'o meal!
Turkey Soft Tacos
Source: Eat Better America (downloaded this 2/2/11)
- 1/2 c. chicken broth (used no-salt)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 diced red pepper (or green - I like red)
- 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 1/2 lb ground turkey (used 1 pound)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped (used minced)
- 1/2 c. salsa (used 1 c. b/c of extra turkey)
- 1/4 c. chopped cilantro (skip)
- Sour cream, cheese, etc. to taste
- Tortillas (used whole wheat low-carb, low-cal tortillas)
- Heat broth to boiling over high heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and corn in broth 2-3 mins. Reduce heat to med-high.
- Stir in turkey and garlic. Cook 2 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in salsa. Cook about 5 mins, until turkey is no longer pink. Add cilantro.
Per serving: 390 cals; 7g fat (2g sat, 1g trans); 40mg chols; 710mg sodium (! no way in my version, btw); 58g carbs
Remember: These nutritionals are based on the original recipe. I used low-sodium salsa, 50 cal tortillas, extra-lean turkey, etc. MV, don't fret!
Yum - good, fast and filling. The kid gave it a thumbs up. I don't like corn that much, so although I added it in and took one for the team, I picked most of it out. What I really liked about this recipe? SO quick to prepare. We had it with low-sodium refried black beans.