Enter Weight Watchers Five Ingredient, 15 Minute Recipes!
This is kind of an interesting title for a cookbook, btw, where many of the recipes do not have five ingredients. But I digress.
I try to switch up my proteins on a somewhat regular basis so our food doesn't get too boring. And while the kid does not like ground beef, he always has a hankering for steak. You know this because you read my blog daily. So, in honor of his good report. steak was on the menu (actually - highly coincidental planning on my end, but he doesn't need to know that).
Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry
Source: Weight Watchers Five Ingredient, 15 Minute Recipes, Winter 2009
- 1/2 lb lean boneless sirloin steak
- 3/4 lb asparagus
- 1 c. sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 c. low-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1 c. cooked rice
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Trim fat from steak, cut into strips and set aside (I buy pre-cut because I'm lazy).
- Snap off rough ends of asparagus. Cut into 1-inch pieces, set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add beef, stir-fry 3 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove meat from pan and keep warm. Wipe pan clean.
- Reheat pan over med-high heat. Recoat with cooking spray. Add asparagus, mushrooms, crushed red pepper and green onions; stir-fry 3 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Return beef to pan; ;add teriyaki sauce and heat for approx 1 min.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Per serving: 322 cals; 5.7g fat (1.9g sat); 30g protein 35.2g carb; 573mg sodium
In his effort to score a Halloween candy treat, the kid shoveled in a ton of the asparagus, a few mushrooms and all of his steak (and then some). Strangely enough - his selected treat was DOTS. Really? Obviously this is not my child. The hubs also managed to choke down his veggies and there were few complaints from anyone. My biggest gripe about this recipe? The teriyaki sauce. Too much of it - and too much sodium. Kind of my fault as I selected the recipe, but so it goes. Maybe the fresh asparagus and 'shrooms will offset it?! Kind of feeling a little salt-drunk right now.