Anyway. With the turn of the year there are always so many exciting new cookbook options for me to select from. They all promise to help us lose weight in six minutes while eating every single thing ever. Who can resist?
Tonight's selection is from one of those new purchases. I almost skipped making dinner tonight because I don't feel awesome (the babe has passed on her germ-fest to both me and the hubs) and we have leftovers, but that would leave you without this super fun post, so I sacrificed my health and well-being on your behalf, dear readers.
Source: Eat Well, Lose Weight (from Better Homes & Gardens), 2012
- 1 tbsp veg oil (reduced to 1 tsp EVOO)
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 6-inch tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 c. shredded, reduced fat Mexican cheese
- 2 4-oz cans diced green chile peppers, undrained (used 1 can)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 c. low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp salt (skip)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (skip)
- 1/8 tsp cumin (used 1/4)
- 1/8 tsp oregano (used 1/4)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over med heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is tender.
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Spread half of tortillas pieces in the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with half of the cheese and one can of peppers. Sprinkle with onion/garlic mix. Top with remaining tortillas, cheese and peppers.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano. Pour evenly over ingredients in baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until center is set and edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 15 mins before serving. Top with tomatoes if you want. (We used Newman's mild salsa)
Per serving: 255 calories; 12g total fat (5g sat); 126mg chol; 583mg sodium; 25g carb; 3g fiber; 15g protein
Upon first glance at dinner, the kid decided he had horrible stomach pains and went to bed. This came after he went to basketball practice, scrimmaged and was the team's leading scorer, then played on the playground. Then came home and
|Does this give you insta-stomach pains?|