Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Some Fishy Excuses

Although I said in a previous post that I do not make resolutions, I did resolve a while ago to keep on keepin' on with the fish attempts. My healthy/clean cookbooks have sooo many fish recipes that I feel like I need to keep trying it.

But, dear readers, I do have a couple of fish confessions. First, fish intimidates me. I am always super worried that I am going to undercook it and poison my family. Or that I'm not going to clean it/de-bone it/whatever and we'll all choke on mini fish bones. Second, although I spend a lot at the grocery store (and, um, elsewhere), I really do have some cheap tendencies, and often don't want to make the big fish purchase - esp if I am going to screw it up. Third, if I was to make more expensive fish purchases, I would prefer to buy fresh fish from a local monger the day-of preparation, and I never can get around to that kind of advance planning. Am I really alone in these fish-phobias?

So, that leaves me with buying either canned fish (tuna/salmon) or those convenient freezer packs of fish that pre-portion out the fillets. Maybe I should look into an intro to fish class? Meh - see point #2 about being cheap.

Tosca's Keep-It-Tight Tilapia
Source: The Eat-Clean Diet Favorites, 2011

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. EVOO
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (used minced)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp dried mustard
  • 1 tsp black pepper (skip)
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 pinch cayenne
  • 4 tilapia fillets, thawed
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Combine olive oil, garlic and seasonings. Dip each fillet into seasoning and place on baking sheet.
  • Pour any remaining sauce over fish. Bake for 10 mins.
Yield: 4 servings (4 oz each)
Per serving: 183 cals; 23g protein; 3g carbs; total fat 9g; 1g fiber; 153mg sodium

Reviews:
This recipe is basically fool proof - esp because it involves oven-baking and not pan-searing (my nemesis). Thankfully the fish turned out very well - nice, mild flavor with a touch of seasoning. I ran out of the EVOO seasoning at the end and had to kind of scrape some off the side of the bowl, but otherwise no problemo with this one. The kid even ate most of his serving.

Ranking:
Three Forks


Wow - hello healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment