Here's hoping the salmon brain food not only helps the kid out tomorrow, but helps me with the copious (my new fave word, btw) amount of writing I have to do tomorrow.
PS - I didn't feel like blogging last night, but we had steak tacos from EatingWell for the kid's birthday dinner. HB kid!
Grilled Salmon and Brown Butter Couscous
Source: Cooking Light, May 2012
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 c. uncooked couscous (used whole wheat)
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 14.5 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt (skip)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (skip)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper (skip)
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt (skip)
- 4 (6oz) skinless salmon fillets
- Cooking spray
- Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over med-heat; cook 3 mins or until browned. Add nuts; cook 1 min, stirring occasionally. Add wine and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 mins. Fluff with a fork; stir in rind, juice, 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Combine white pepper and next 4 ingredients (through 1/4 tsp salt) in a small bowl. Coat salmon fillets with cooking spray. Sprinkle with spice mixture. Place salmon on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill over med-high heat 4 mins on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with couscous.
Per serving: 457 cals; 15g fat (4.9g sat, 4g mono, 4.1g poly); 41.2g protein; 35.8g carbs; 556mg sodium
Salmon: 3-0 - we all liked the grilling method (kudos to Chef Hubs)
Couscous: 2-1 - the kid did not care for the couscous (texture, peeps); the hubs and I liked the lemon-y change-up
Difficulty: This was no problem at all. I reduced the overall cook time (40 mins?!) by having Chef Hubs grill the salmon while I dealt with the couscous.
|Super food bonanza|