We were supposed to have the kid's first flag football game today, but due to rain, it was cancelled, so I took the opportunity to whip out some cookies for our peeps across the street. I doubled the recipe so we could also benefit from the cookies (duh), and since I completely and totally forgot to tell my parents that the flag football game was cancelled and they went anyway, they will also receive some cookies.
I happened across this recipe whilst (!) planning my weekly meals, and saw that I had every single ingredient on hand. That's called a no-brainer, peeps.
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Source: Cooking Light, July 2009
- 1/2 c. mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 5.6 oz all-purpose flour (about 1.25 cups)
- 2 c. old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add egg; beat well.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana mixture in bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
Per cookie: 115 calories; 3.6g fat (sat: 2g; mono 1.1g; poly: 0.3g) protein: 2g; carb: 19.1g; fiber: 1.2g; chol: 14mg; sodium: 121mg calc: 10mg
First: Notice what's missing? Oil! Yay!
Second: This was very easy to prepare, and I was able to whip out two batches very quickly. Also - typically when I make cookies (not too often - kind of suck at it, to be honest) - the yield is never true to recipe. But this time it was! This made a ton of cookies!
Third: The kid thought the cookie was so-so (he threw half out), but both the hubs and I liked these cookies a lot. Think kind of crunchy banana chocolate chip bread. Bam!
Other random ranking: Ohio State: ZERO FORKS for the almost heart-attack they gave Buckeye Nation today.
|Lots of cookies - batch one|