We love tacos - who doesn't? If you remember, when I started this challenge and broke it to the kid that we were no longer having turkey tacos, he was more than a little annoyed. However, the whole point of this challenge is that we might not have that particular recipe, but since I have gazillions of taco recipe variations, tacos will continue to be a part of lives. And really, who would deprive a kid of his tacos? Not this mom.
And now, thanks to Ladies Home Journal and its four taco recipes on ONE page, I have even more options!
Oh - and a special shout-out thanks to Penzeys Spices. WTF?! You send me a whole catalog chock-full of delish recipes that are low-sodium (for the most part) and amazing looking? My Great Big Recipe Challenge might go on for years... I have already identified a bunch of recipes I want to try out. From a catalog.
Source: Ladies Home Journal, September 2011
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 clover minced garlic (used pre-minced)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt (skip)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (skip - forgot)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (skip)
- 1 diced bell pepper (used red)
- 1 diced tomato (used no-salt added canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 c. tomato sauce (used no-salt added)
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Cook, crumbling meat, until just browned.
- Add bell pepper, tomato and tomato sauce. Simmer until thickened about 15 mins.
Per serving: 230 calories; 12.5g total fat (4g sat); 525mg sodium; 9g carbs; 59mg choles; 20g protein; 3g fiber
The kid called this meal "top notch." Even with my accidental omission of the cayenne, this still had a tiny kick, and we have lots of leftovers. I served it with plain brown rice and used Garden of Eatin yellow corn taco shells, which only have 5mg of sodium per TWO taco shells. Sidebar - I heart Garden of Eatin products. Obvs.
Sidebar #2 - the above nutritionals - and all of my nutritionals, for that matter, do not reflect my adjustments (i.e., no salt, using no-salt added ingredients, etc.). Just in case you were wondering.
Four Forks. Woot!
|Yes, I had to have some cheese tonight. Just one of those days.|