Monday, September 26, 2011

Kid-spiration

Last week, the kid came home all excited about his Spanish class. Not because of anything he learned, mind you, but because his teacher passed out a bunch of recipes for them to try at home. So we did. Sort of.

The recipes are for enchiladas and burritos and guac and other delish Mexican dishes. However, besides the guac, none of the recipes are particularly healthy, so I found my own variation for tonight's Meatless Monday fare.

Before I get into the recipe, I would love to be able to add that the kid helped cook the meal and we had a heartfelt mother-son-in-kitchen-bonding moment. The reality is he was first at a friend's house, and then getting his fill of educational programming (i.e., The "Regular Show" - don't ask. I don't know).


Easy Guacamole
Source: The kid's Spanish class (and Allrecipes.com, I think)

Ingredients:
  • 2 avocados
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 ripe tomato, chopped
  • 1 lime, juiced (used refrigerated)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (skip_
Note: I cut this recipe in half since I am the only one who eats guac.

Directions:
  • Peel and mash the avocado in a bowl. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Chill.

Yum

Black Bean Burritos
Source: The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Note: I do not know anyone who has diabetes - I just bought the cookbook because I figured it would have healthy recipes, and I'm a sucker for healthy recipes.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp EVOO
  • 2 green bell peppers, diced (used 1/2 of one - not a huge green pepper fan)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (used refrigerated)
  • 2 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 14.5oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1-4oz can chopped green chiles (used mild - would consider medium next time)
  • 2-15.5oz cans black beans, rinsed (used no-salt added)
  • 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • Tortillas, cheese, etc (I like La Tortilla Factory high fiber, low-carb wraps)
Directions:
  • Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell peppers, garlic, oregano and cumin, cook, stirring until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, green chiles, beans and vinegar. Return to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, about 25 mins. Add water is liquid evaporates too quickly (did not do that).
  • Warm tortillas in oven.
  • With the back of a spoon, mash some of the beans.
Yield: 8 servings (1/2 c. bean mixture, one tortilla)
Per serving: 235 calories; 5g fat (2g sat, 2g mono); 6mg choles; 40g carbs; 12g protein; 10g fiber; 581mg sodium

My pics are kind of sideways tonight
 Reviews:

Surprisingly, no one complained about the potential of bean-only burritos. The kid did ASK "Is there meat involved in dinner," but he managed to eat almost his entire portion (we also had brown rice), which is a major win in my book. The hubs also gave it a resounding thumbs up. I am the only one who tried the guac, and I thought it was delish. But I also like plain avocados without seasoning, so who am I to judge?

Ranking:
Four Forks. Easy, fast and a winning meatless option





1 comment:

  1. 4 forks is an elusive rating for a meatless dish - but def a solid 3 fork effort... even the guac smelled good (not good enough for me to eat it, but good nonetheless)

    ReplyDelete