Friday, September 16, 2011

Hot Mess

"Hot mess" is a favorite phrase of my lovely blog designer, K-Skull, but it is also appropriate for tonight's post.

I normally do not cook on Friday nights. I'm too tired, or not all of us are home (meaning the boys since the baby goes to bed at 7p these days), so we usually order in, grill out or just eat whatever. I did not cook tonight, but I did attempt to continue my crock pot success with a crock pot-based dessert.

I have always breezed right by these recipes, because it honestly seems weird to me that you can bake a cake in a crock pot. Tonight I decided to give it a whirl because I had everything on hand, and who doesn't love a little warm chocolate cake on a chilly evening.

Hot Fudge Cake
Source: Crock Pot Slow Cooker Best-Loved Recipes (2006)

Ingredients:
  • 1-3/4c packed light brown sugar
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for dusting, if desired
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 c. milk
  • 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3.5 c. boiling water
Directions:
  • Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Mix 1 c. sugar, flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Pour into crock pot.
  • Blend remaining 3/4 c. sugar and 1/4 c. cocoa powder in small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over mixture in crock pot. Pour in boiling water. Do not stir.
  • Cover, cook on high 1-1/4 to 1.5 hours or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow cake to rest for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving platter or scoop into serving dishes. Serve warm; dust with cocoa powder, if desired.
Yield: 6-8 servings
(No nutritionals on this one)

Reviews:
When I checked it at the 1-1/4 mark, it was still a gloppy, watery mess. Then, I checked at the four hour mark and called it a night. This cake is not happening. The end "result" is kind of cakey on the bottom, and super watery all over. I guess my great experiment in baking a crock pot cake is also a massive fail. Oh well. The kid has already hit me up for another dessert over the weekend.

Ranking:
One Fork

No comments:

Post a Comment