Monday, September 19, 2011

Cookbook Week Kick-Off

The title of this post is in no way a reference to football. My Buckeyes let its nation down big time, and even though the Browns had a big win yesterday, I'm not the world's biggest NFL fan. (Sorry CLE peeps!)

Rather, this "kick-off" (which actually began with yesterday's dinner) refers to my use of a different cookbook each night this week.

I collect recipes a few different ways:
  • Cookbooks (obvs)
  • Magazines (too many to name) - I rip them out and file according to type, in my lovely orange binders
  • Online computer database (i.e., too lazy to print e-recipes and file in my binders)
I most often turn to my orange binders, ignoring the cookbooks I have amassed through the years. Therefore, when planning the meals for this week, I decided to only use cookbooks for my selections. Pretty monumental stuff, huh?

For tonight's Meatless Monday selection...

Stuffed Shells
Source: 500 Low Sodium Recipes, Dick Logue (2007)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lbs large pasta shells
  • 4 c. ricotta cheese (go for lowest sodium possible - mine had 55mg/serving)
  • 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 c. grated parm cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley (skip - substituted 1 tsp minced garlic)
  • 1-1/2 tsp dried oregano (went with 2 tsp)
  • 3 c. low sodium spaghetti sauce (I like Trader Joe's No-Salt Added Marinara - 35mg/serving)
Directions:
  • Cook shells according to package directions. Drain and spread out in a single layer on waxed paper. (Did not spread them out - just cooled off by rinsing)
  • Combine remaining ingredients except spaghetti sauce. Spread 1 c. sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Stuff each shell with about 2 tbsp of the filling and place in the pan. Pour remaining sauce over shells.
  • Cover with foil (I always spray underside of foil to prevent stickage) and bake at 350 degrees until cheese is hot and sauce bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 356 calories; 24g protein; 16g total fat (8g sat, 5g mono, 2g poly); 29g carbs; 2g fiber; 6g sugar; 247mg sodium

Reviews:
Big thumbs up from everyone. I've made this several times, and it always turns out well. We also had asparagus as a side (yes, both the kid and the hubs eat asparagus), and the boys added garlic bread. To quote the kid: "Compliments to the chef." To quote me: "Compliments to Dick Logue." I heart Dick Logue and his low-sodium recipes. They never disappoint.

Ranking:
Four Forks

Carb-loading for 5:30a spinning tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment