Monday, December 26, 2011

Fish-A-Go-Go

After the heavy eating that was experienced during the holidays, I decided to lighten the load tonight with some fish. Now, if you've been a loyal blog reader, you know my lack of success with most fish dishes. But I will never give up on the swimmy stuff. I like it, and it's super healthy.



Tonight I whipped out a recipe collection (i.e., supermarket check-out line booklet) that I have flipped through a million times, and used once or twice since purchasing, but not much more. But it is chock full of inspiring, heart-healthy related stories and tips, not just recipes, so it is a fun read. Because who doesn't support heart health?! Sidenote: I am also happy to report the purchase of a new food magazine, that, upon my first brief inspection, is full of delish new meals for me to try. But that's for another blog post.

Fish Steaks with Honey-Dijon Glaze

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp dijon
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne
  • 4 halibut, salmon or swordfish fillets (4 oz each), rinsed and patted dried (used salmon)
  • 2 tsp canola oil
Directions:
  • In a shallow dish, stir together honey, mustard, thyme and cayenne. Dip the fish into the mixture, turning to coat.
  • In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the pan. Cook fish for 3-4 mins on each side, or until it flakes easily when tested with a fork.
Yield: 4 servings (3 oz fish/serving)
Per serving: 188 cals; 5.5g fat (0.5g sat; 0g trans; 1.5g poly; 2.5g mono); 36mg chols; 215mg sodium; 10g carbs; 24g protein

Reviews:
Success! I didn't completely burn the fish and it was totally edible! I also liked that I had all of the ingredients on hand, with the exception of the protein itself. My only real complaint is that the recipe called for just 1/8 tsp of cayenne, and I barely tasted it, so next time I would add a bit more.

Ranking:
Three Forks

Just Keep Swimming

No comments:

Post a Comment