Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hitting the Spot

Due to a mini breakdown in communication, we did not have dinner as a family, which got the kid off the hook for tonight's main event. However, he missed out on some delish comfort food that really hit the spot on a cold, rainy December evening.

I've wanted to make a white chili for some time. I have all sorts of recipes for all sorts of chilis, and I've kind of been in the mood for a chicken-based version. However, I am kind of a firm believer that chili should only be paired with cold weather, and since we've had unusually mild weather of late, my forays into chili have been few and far between. My guess is, though, that you'll be reading about a lot more chilis as we enter the long, cold, dark and miserable season that is known as winter. You will also probably read about my immense dislike of snow.

White Chili
Source: 500 Low Sodium Recipes, by Dick Logue

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil (used canola)
  • 1.5 tsp garlic powder
  • 4 c. no-salt added great Northern beans
  • 2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
  • 4 oz. chopped chile peppers
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper (skip)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 c. sour cream (used reduced-fat)
Directions:
  • In a large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chiles and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 30 mins. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. 
Yield: 8 servings (I assumed 1 c/serving)
Per serving: 269 cals; 23g protein; 9g fat (4g sat, 2g mono, 2g poly); 25g carb; 6g fiber; 87mg calcium; 99mg sodium; 46mg choles

Reviews:
Love this! Once again, my friend Dick Logue comes through with another great low-sodium recipe. We both thought this turned out just fab.

Ranking:
Four Forks

I'm not going to include an image tonight. I took one, but the picture does not do the meal justice. Instead, here's another photograph:


(This is solo, btw)

No comments:

Post a Comment