Monday, April 9, 2012

At the Kid's Request

Last week, the kid randomly mentioned that he liked eating shrimp with the little tails on it. Aha! We haven't had shrimp in a really long time, so I decided to add it to the meal list for this week.

Honestly, I'm not the world's biggest fan of shrimp. I do not like it raw, and I prefer that the shrimp is doused with a lot of sauces or spices to cover up its taste.

Luckily Cooking Light had the perfect recipe to do this - shrimp curry! Talk about a promised flavor punch. And, talk about doing something a little different. I don't use a lot of curry in my cooking so I thought this was a win-win situation for all of us. Kid: Shrimp fix. Me: Lots of spices to hide the shrimp taste. Plus this recipe is one of Cooking Light's "Super Fast" options, promising a delish meal in approx 20 mins.

Bombay Shrimp Curry with Coconut Rice
Source: Cooking Light, July 2011

I don't feel like typing this whole thing out - if you want the recipe, ask. What you should know is that part of this recipe called for coconut milk rice, which was a complete and total fail. The rice was supposed to absorb the milk in 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, that was a no-go. Boo.

Reviews:
The boys really enjoyed it. I thought it was a hassle and not timed out that well. The taste was OK - not that spicy. The shrimp flavor still came through - a positive for most people.

Ranking:
Two Forks

And, lest I forget, last night my family did a combo Passover Seder-Easter dinner (we don't discriminate against holidays). So, to mark the occasion, I brought a Lemon Buttermilk Cake (Betty Crocker Super Moist Cakes, Spring 2009) and Passover Brownies (KraftFoods.com). Both recipes earned rave reviews - per usual from my fam - but, truth be told, they both turned out pretty darn well.

1 comment:

  1. Unsolicited review - shrimp was delish despite the cooking obstacles; brownies were excellent; no idea on lemon cake 'cause i don't do lemon except lemonade!

    Chef Hubs

    ReplyDelete