(In all honesty, I just don't have any witty ideas for this post tonight.)
Saucy Turkey Meatball Sub
Source: The Carb Lovers Diet Cookbook, by Ellen Kunes
- 2 c. marinara sauce (used no-salt added from TJs)
- 1 lbs ground turkey (used lean)
- 3/4 c. fresh bread crumbs (yes, I took a piece of bread and crumbed it up in the processor. Really.)
- 1/3 c. grated cheese
- 3/4 c. finely grated carrot (skipped - ran out of carrots)
- 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- salt, pepper, cooking spray, buns
- Place sauce in a med saucepan and keep warm on low.
- Combine turkey through pepper in a bowl and mix with hands until well combined. Form into 16 equal meatballs.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over med-high heat. Brown balls on all sides, approx 5-6 mins.
- Add meatballs to sauce, increase heat to medium and simmer until meatballs have absorbed some of the sauce and are heated through, approx. 10-15 mins.
- Spoon 4 meatballs and some sauce onto a bun and sprinkle with 1 tbsp cheese (used mozzarella instead).
I very rarely make sandwiches for dinner, but even with this whole recipe no-repeat challenge thing I have going on, I often find myself making the same types of dishes. This def switched things up a bit, much to the delight of both boys - they loved the sub. Much to the dismay of both boys I paired this with zucchini fries. Yum-o for me, Sun Chips for them.