Sunday, April 15, 2012

Meatless Sunday?

What a glorious weekend! Chock full of fun and an unexpected dose of sunshine! I hope yours was equally as lovely.

In my scurrying around, I failed to realize that the dish I had planned for tonight required an overnight soak in buttermilk until approx 10 minutes before I needed to start meal prep. No problemo! Because of my uber-organization and meal pre-planning, I simply flipped my Meatless Monday dish to tonight. And tomorrow, my buttermilk mystery will be revealed for all to enjoy.

Mushroom and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Source: No clue. I think I ripped it out of either Reader's Digest or Prevention

Ingredients:
  • 2 tsp EVOO
  • slice mushrooms
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 can black beans (used no-salt added)
  • 8 corn tortillas, halved
  • 2 c. salsa (used Newman's Own)
  • 4 oz. shredded Mexican or Monterrey Jack cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high. Add mushrooms and cook until browned, 7 mins. Add garlic and cayenne, season with salt and pepper (did not do that). Add black beans and stir to combine. Cook until warmed through, approx 2 mins. Remove from heat.
  • Arrange 5 tortilla halves in a 2-quart baking dish. Top with half the bean mix and 1/2 c. salsa, then sprinkle 1/3 cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortilla halves, bean mixture, salsa and cheese. Tip with remaining tortilla halves, salsa and cheese.
  • Cover with foil and bake 10 mins. Uncover and bake another 5 mins or until cheese is bubbling.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 384 cals; 13g fat (6g sat); 20g protein; 51g carbs; 12g fiber

Reviews:
Considering the kid shoveled in a huge ice cream cone about 90 minutes before dinner, I'm a little impressed that he even tried a few bites. He didn't hate it - he simply said it wasn't one of his favorites. The hubs thought it was good, but, because it was meatless it would go against his nature to give it a rave review. Not that this dish deserves a rave review. Although I liked it because it was fast to throw together and very filling, it wasn't one of my favorite meatless endeavors.

Ranking:
Two Forks

No comments:

Post a Comment