Originally this meal was going to celebrate the Buckeyes' run in New Orleans, but instead this is simply an ode to one of the hubs' fave meals - jambalaya.
I have never made this souped-up stew before, mostly because a lot of the recipes involve a whole lot of ingredients that I don't feel like dealing with. This twist on jamabalya kept things simple for yours truly, and with the exception of the higher than normal sodium content, seems like a somewhat healthy meal.
Chicken and Sausage Jambalya
Source: Cooking Light, November 2011
- 2 tsp canola
- 6oz reduced-fat smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 c. uncooked long-grain white rice (used brown)
- 1 c. water
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 14.5oz low-sodium chicken broth (used no-salt)
- 14.5oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 c. shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken (used plain baked)
- Heat a Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add sausage, saute 1 min or until browned. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; saute 6 mins or until tender. Add rice and next 5 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 mins or until rice is done.
- Remove thyme sprigs, discard. Stir in tomatoes and chicken. Cook 3 mins or until thoroughly heated.
Per serving: 341 cals; 5.8g fat (1.3g sat, 2g mono, 0.9g poly); 19.3g protein; 50.6g carb; 2.8g fiber; 44mg chol; 723mg sodium
The kid was a little wary of this meal since I (unsuccesfully) tricked him into thinking tempeh was chicken last week. Once the hubs - chicken-cutting sous chef - confirmed via pinky swear it was indeed real chicken, he dug in and ate a nice helping, with the exception of the sausage. The hubs pretty much licked his bowl clean and declared it "great." I thought it had a lot of flavor, and wouldn't really change anything, except for the sodium.
Three Forks (sodium peeps)
|Action shot! Still simmering|