Tuesday, April 10, 2012

There's Something About Kale

Alright, bloggies. I have a confession to make. As I've posted before, I have been on kind of a kale kick. What you don't know is that this little "kick" has turned into a minor obsession.

Right now, I'm eating kale with dinner at least three times a week. I only know how to prepare it one way (baked in the oven with a bit of olive oil), and I get a tad bit defensive of my kale consumption when the boys giggle and point. Oh - and I kind of almost got into a wee bit of a fight with a grocery store cashier last week whilst buying yet another bag of said kale.

Gah. I guess there are worse things to be obsessed with, right?

Tonight, kale was the star of the show. That's because while dinner was OK, it wasn't nearly as tasty or as satisfying as the kale. MY kale.

Golden Chicken with Marsala Mushrooms
Source: Good Housekeeping Best Chicken Dishes, 1999

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil (used olive)
  • 4 large boneless chicken breast halves (recipe calls for 2 lbs, I used 1 lbs of thin-sliced)
  • salt/pepper (skip)
  • 1 lbs mushrooms
  • 1/4 c. dry Marsala wine
Directions:
  • In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over med-high heat until very hot. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, approx. 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
  • Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until mushrooms are golden brown and all liquid evaporated, stirring frequently. Add Marsala wine to 'shrooms, stirring to loosen any brown bits from bottom of the skillet. Return chicken to mushroom mixture and heat through.
Yield: 4 servings (original recipe)
Per serving: 390 cals; 40g protein; 6g carbs; 21g fat (5g sat); 116mg chol; 410mg sodium

Reviews:
The kale was amaze! Haha. Pros about this dish? So fast and easy to prepare. No chopping, barely any measuring. Lots of mushroom goodness. Cons about this dish? The kid said it best: "It could have used some sauce." Note: I served this with plain, whole wheat pasta. The mushrooms tasted very Marsala-y, but otherwise the chicken was bland.

Ranking:
Two Forks


The star of the show is taking a back seat

5 comments:

  1. i'm currently obsessed with kale salads for lunch. and a new obsession: radishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate Kale for dinner too! Mine tasted like burnt leaves though...I haven't become a fan yet.
    MV

    ReplyDelete
  3. J: Radishes? Interesting. Adding it to the agenda.

    MV: I bake it at 350 for 15-20 mins, but I start checking at 15 and I stir it. It burns really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Kale-aholic too. But I eat it raw as a salad. Have you made Kale Chips? I hear they are a-mazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspirunning: I like to pretend my version of baked kale is kale chippish. I used to buy them, but the pre-packaged have too much sodium for my liking.

    ReplyDelete