Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Hump Day!

Helllooooo Wednesday! This is one of those weeks that is just flying by, and that's both a good and a panic-inducing thing. Mostly good, seeing that my job doesn't entail anything particularly life-saving, I try not to let it get the best of me.

Tonight, howevs, it almost did. Here I was, moaning and groaning my way through the early evening hours. So, I gave the hubs a couple of options: He cook the planned meal or we order in because I. Was. Not. Going. To. Cook. Tonight.

Luckily for everyone involved - especially you, loyal readers - I managed to man up and make dinner. Luckily for me, this meal was embraced by all (except the baby, who was already snoring) and it involved very little heavy lifting for me. And for the record, the "Chef Hubs" did offer to do a little slice and dice and post a guest blog.

Beef Stroganoff
Source: American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook, 3rd Edition

Ingredients:
  • 1lb beef tenderloin or sirloin
  • 1/2 tsp pepper (skip)
  • 1 tsp canola
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1 med onion, sliced
  • 2 c. beef broth (used no-salt added)
  • 3 tsp flour
  • 2 tbsp no-salt added tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp dry sherry
  • 1/8 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/8 tsp dried dillweed
  • 1/4 c. fat-free or light sour cream
Heart healthy ingredients: oregano; tomato paste

Directions:
  • Cut meat into thin strips. Sprinkle with pepper.
  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Cook beef for 1 min.
  • Stir in mushrooms and onion. Cook 2-3 mins or until onion is soft.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together broth and flour. Pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 mins, or until thickened, stirring constantly.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients (except sour cream). Stir into the beef mixture. Simmer, covered for 5-10 mins or until the beef is tender.
  • Transfer about 1/4 c. sauce into a small bowl. Whisk in the sour cream. Stir back into skillet. Cook until warmed through.
Yield: 4 servings (1 c. per serving)
Per serving: 240 cals; 7g fat (2g sat; 0.5g poly; 3g mono); 55mg chol; 87mg sodium; 15g carb; 28g protein

I served the meal over whole wheat noodles and added kale as a side. I am mildly obsessed with kale right now, as an FYI.

Reviews:
"One of the best stroganoff dishes you have ever made." - Hubs
"15 forks!" - Kid
"No effort. And I'm still exhaust-balls." - Me

Ranking:
Four Forks

How ya doin', kale?

1 comment:

  1. I am also incredibly obsessed w kale right now!! Just discovered prewashed and chopped bags of kale at Giant Eagle and have been eating it non stop.

    ReplyDelete