Monday, February 13, 2012

To Err is Human...

And yes, bloggies, I have erred. In a big-time way.

Last night, after another semi-successful dinner I was filing away my recipe and marking the date when I noticed a scrawled date in the upper corner. Which indicates that I had made the recipe once before, during the challenge. (At least I ranked the recipe the same both times!)

And with that, My Great Big Recipe Challenge comes to an end.

Or does it? In all honesty, I did not repeat the recipe on purpose. I have no clue why I didn't notice that it was already marked until long after the fact. But I can tell you it annoys me to no end. It was actually one of the first things I thought about this morning when I woke up. At the obscene hour of 3:30. And in case you are wondering, the other things I thought about were: I wonder which Buffy episode is on right now and I don't feel like working out. (As an FYI: Buffy was "Two to Go" - excellent - and yes I did go work out an hour later, per usual. Yes that is 4:30a).

Moving on.

So where does that leave this challenge and the blog? After I confessed this grievous error to my co-worker (and all-around sparklette HK), she reminded me that "to err is human." Sure. So I'm just going to keep on keeping on, and perhaps add six months of the challenge as my penance. Do you have any thoughts on this all-important matter? Obvs it is right up there with the economy and world peace...

This also takes away from my original blog post, which was going to be about a NEW COOKBOOK I received last week! Given the size of "The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook" I could probs keep the challenge going for another 10 years with recipes from this resource alone. Howevs, given the pain-in-the-ass factor of tonight's meal, that probably isn't going to happen.

Stir-Fried Pork and Edamame with Classic Brown Stir-Fry Sauce
Source: The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook

Notes (I'm not typing this all out): This had too many pieces parts for my liking during the week. If I had a sous chef it would have been a snap, but such is not the case.
Heart healthy ingredients: Red bell peppers; edamame

Easy Baked Brown Rice
Source: The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
Heart healthy ingredients: Brown rice

Reviews:
As noted, the stir fry had multiple steps, making it a pain to get on the table super fast. Ultimately, the dish turned out pretty tasty - a little too saucy for my liking - but overall good. It was well-received by the boys, although I don't think the kid enjoyed the edamame as much as I did. The baked brown rice received mixed reviews - I liked it although the 65-70 minute bake time was kind of ridic - the hubs did not love it. It did make a ton.

Ranking:
Two Forks - less for taste, more for hassle

At least I didn't forget the picture tonight!

4 comments:

  1. You're doing great!! My family is lucky if I don't make the same thing twice in the same week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you are a perfectionist but don't be so hard on yourself! It's only stir fry!! -Loren

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're gonna keep on keeping on!! That stir fry looks delish though I agree 70 mins for rice is too honking long.

    Happy valentine's day!! Hope you get the night off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks peeps for your support! The hubs suggested I say "Chef Boyardee" 50 times for my penance, so here we go... :)

    ReplyDelete