Thursday, February 23, 2012

TGI-TH

Whew - we're at the end - I've actually cooked five nights in a row! I haven't had the opportunity to do that for a long time. Honestly though peeps, I prefer it that way. I like having meals together. I like making sure that my family is eating healthy fare. And there's so much to be said about the family meal.

Allow me to wax poetic for a moment. According to Meals Matter (and many other sources), family meals result in healthier habits, better test scores and overall happier kids. While I can't predict the future, I am proud that we are building a solid foundation for our children. We actively and openly discuss healthy habits and making positive choices.

Deep.

In other not-so-deep thoughts, I am super-behind on all of my Bravo shows. And I had the great pleasure of sampling some amazing cupcakes today from La Bella. Which also included the fun adventure of two East Siders attempting to navigate the West Side. But they were worth the trip. Yum. And NOT heart healthy.

Sally's Noodle Casserole
Source: The Healthy Heart Cookbook, by Joseph P. Piscatella

Ingredients:
  • 1 lbs leanest ground beef
  • 3 large garlic cloves, pressed (used minced)
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2-15oz cans tomato sauce (used no-salt added)
  • 1-8oz package light cream cheese (softened)
  • 1-8oz package light sour crm with chives
  • 1-12oz package rotini noodles (used whole wheat)
  • 2 tbsp nonfat shredded cheddar
  • 2 tbsp nonfat shredded jack (used mozzarella)
Heart healthy ingredients: tomato sauce (and we had broccoli as a side)

Directions:
  • Saute beef and garlic 4-5 mins or until beef is browned. Add sugar (and salt/pepper to taste). Stir in tomato sauce. Simmer 20 mins.
  • Using a wire whisk or electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream.
  • Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
  • Spray an 8-inch round x 3.5-inch deep baking dish with cooking spray. Add a layer of noodles. Spread a layer of cream cheese mix, then a layer of the tomato sauce mixture. Repeat 2 more times.
  • Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30-40 mins. Top with cheddar and jack and bake uncovered for about 5 more mins.
Yield: 8 servings (not sure what a serving size is... annoying. Went with 1 cup)
Per serving: 379 cals; 15g total fat (6g sat) 101mg chol; 39g carbs; 3g fiber; 25g protein; 610mg sodium

Reviews:
First of all - and you know I'm going to type it - this meal took way too long for a weeknight. While prep was super-extra simple, the 20 minutes here, 30-40 mins here is a bit ridic. I MUST start reading ahead more. But alas, you know I won't.

Taste-wise, we were a little split. I'm a cheesy kind of gal, so I appreciated the creaminess of the sour cream/cream cheese mix. The boys did not. Overall, it is a very filling dish.

Ranking:
Two Forks - although I vote three, but I guess majority will rule tonight?


Maybe just a little extra cheese?

1 comment:

  1. Chef Hubs said three forks, not sure who outvoted Chef Wifey? Maybe the kid?

    ReplyDelete