Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fast Times for Fishers

This is a fast post to match a fast meal. Partly because I'm tired, partly because I've barely seen the hubs for a couple of days and am semi-interested in having a conversation with him, but mostly because I have a seriously huge cupcake waiting for my consumption. Of course, I also have a seriously early workout planned for tomorrow morning to make up for said cupcake, but peeps, I just can't resist a good cupcake.

Happiness is a warm cupcake (?1?!)

Chicken with Pepperoni-Marinara Sauce
Source: Cooking Light, January/February 2012

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic (used 1 tsp pre-minced)
  • 16 slices pepperoni, coarsely chopped (used turkey pepperoni)
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1.5 c. low-sodium marinara sauce (I used no-salt added from Trader Joe's)
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (skip - forgot to buy)
  • 2 tsp evoo
  • 1.5 lbs chicken cutlets
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions:
  • Preheat boiler to high
  • Heat a saucepan over med-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and pepperoni; cook 2 mins or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add oregano, cook 30 seconds. Add marinara sauce, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins. Remove from heat, stir in basil.
  • Heat a large ovenproof skillet over med-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Add chicken to skillet, cook 5 mins or until lightly browned, turning after 3 mins.
  • Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil 2 mins or until cheese melts.
Yield: 4 servings (5 oz chicken, 1/3 c. sauce)
Per serving: 380 cals; 14.7g fat (6g sat, 5.2g mono, 1.2g poly); 48.5g protein; 28.7g carb; 122mg chol; 533mg sodium

Reviews:
The hubs started eyeballing this recipe three days ago when I pulled it. Needless to say, it lived up to his expectations. The meal encompassed everything he likes: Chicken, pepperoni, sauce. No veggies to sully up the dish. NOTE - I was planning on serving this with asparagus, but totally and completely forgot until we were halfway through with dinner and I noticed the lack of green. Oh well. The kid thought it was OK - he wasn't the biggest fan of the pepperoni sauce. I liked it - not only because it was fast and easy to throw together, but because I got to use my brand new (and slightly overpriced) ovenproof skillet for the first time.

Ranking:
Three Forks


Like the hot new pan?

No comments:

Post a Comment