Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meat

After torturing the boys the past couple of nights with uber-healthy fare, I decided they needed a break and went with good, old fashioned meat and potatoes (Ack! No potatoes for the kid!). Of course, there's no lard or deep frying or anything particularly unhealthy involved, and this version still fits in my healthy qualifications. Shhh - just don't let them know that.

In my ongoing quest to fill our house with as many recipes as possible, I have started purchasing the Food Network Magazine. I am one of those fools who watches things like Cupcake Wars, Chopped, bake-off anything and Guy Fieri with reckless abandon. I can while away hours watching chefs I've never heard of creating bounties of deliciousness. So of course this magazine needed to find its way into my collection.

Sweet & Spicy Meatloaves
Source: Food Network Magazine, March 2012

Ingredients:
  • 2 slices whole-grain bread, torn into pieces
  • 1/2 small onion, quartered
  • 1 medium carrot, quartered
  • 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 lb lean ground meat
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp
  • salt/pepper
  • 1 tbsp ketchup
  • 1 tbsp peach chutney or apricot jam (used jam)
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Pulse the bread in a food processor until finely ground, transfer to a large bowl. Add the onion and carrot to the food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to bowl with bread and add turkey, beef, egg, and 1/2 tsp curry powder, salt and pepper.
  • Mix by hand (negative) until just combined. Shape into 4 small oblong meatloaves on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet (I used mini meatloaf pans). Mix the ketchup and chutney in a small bowl and brush over the meatloaves. Bake until just cooked through, about 20 mins.
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving (this includes potatoes and broccoli from the original recipe): 367 cals; 15g fat (4g sat); 123mg chol; 459mg sodium; 32g fiber; 29g protein

Reviews:
Kid. Potatoes. Need I say more. But, while I didn't really get a super "sweet" or "spicy" vibe from the meatloaf, I did find the overall flavor interesting in a good way. The boys also both really liked the loaves. This was also a super-fast meal to prepare.

Ranking:
Three Forks

Little loaf love

No comments:

Post a Comment