While I believe this recipe is meant to replace things like Hamburger Helper or some other pre-packaged sodium-fest, I don't know that I buy that this is super-healthy. You be the judge. I'm not a nutritionist, nor do I play one on TV.
I feel like this recipe was a little high in calories and sodium to qualify as healthy. And while it does include the super of all foods - broccoli - as a main ingredient - we def could have upped the nutritionals with more veggies. Plus, it was not specific enough (or at all) with serving size,which in my world leads to bigger-than-needed portions.
That being said, the "Hurry" part of this scenario certainly fit the bill. This was a snap to prepare - the only heavy lifting I had to do was cut up my chicken into chunks. And shoo off the dog, who was nipping at my heels for a teeny bit of chicken.
Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Source: EatingWell, I think March 2012 but I'm not sure
- 8oz whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 14oz can reduced sodium chicken broth (used no salt added)
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut into little chunks
- 1 14-16oz package frozen broccoli
- 1.5c skim milk
- 1/2c. reduced fat mayo
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1.5 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5c shredded cheese
- Place noodles in a large skillet. Pour broth over the noodles. Layer chicken then broccoli over the noodles.
- Whisk milk through garlic powder in a medium bowl. Pour over broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over med-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, 15-18 mins. Stir every once in a while.
- When casserole is done, sprinkle cheese on top and broil lightly until browned, approx. 3 mins.
Per serving: 446 cals; 15g fat (7g sat, 4g mono); 75mg chol; 41g carbs; 33g protein; 6g fiber; 662mg sodium
Despite my grousing about the health benefits, this meal was delish. While the hubs managed to pick out every last piece of broccoli from his serving, the kid and I savored our green goodness. It probably didn't need as much cheese as the recipe called for, but honestly - I love cheese and wasn't going to cut that down. We all liked the entire thing - it was warm and comforting and very filling. And probably not the healthiest.