I approached this meal with a little bit of trepidation, because the last recipe I pulled from Runner's World was not the best. Fortunately for us, this one was a bit more successful.
Unfortunately for you, I am out of words for tonight. Too much talking during the day. I'll have to remember to keep my mouth shut more tomorrow. Maybe.
Mini Salmon Loaves with Salsa
Source: Runner's World, March 2012
- Combine two 5-oz cans salmon (drained), 1 c. frozen chopped spinach (thawed/skipped), 1 diced red bell pepper, 2 tbsp chopped dill, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1/2 c. quick-cook rolled oats, 2 large eggs and salt/pepper to taste (skip). Divide mix among 12 lightly greased muffin tins and bake at 375 degrees for 20 mins. Serve with salsa. Yield: 4 servings (did not provide nutritionals)
Couscous with Roasted Almonds and Edamame
Source: No clue. My computer files - random word document that I saved
- 1 med garlic clove
- 1.5 c. carrot juice (used water)
- 1/4 tsp salt (skip)
- 1.5 c. frozen shelled edamame
- 2 med scallions
- 4-5 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 3/4 c. couscous (used whole-wheat)
- 1 oz. roasted, unsalted almonds
- Mince garlic to make 1 tsp. Combine garlic, carrot juice, salt and pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add edamame and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 4 mins.
- While edamame simmers, chop scallions to make 1/2 c. and cilantro to make 2 tbsp. Set aside. Increase heat to high and return to a boil, stir in couscous. Cover, remove from heat and let stand 5 mins. Fluff couscous with a fork, add scallions, cilantro and chopped almonds.
In addition to potatoes, the kid does not like couscous. So he ate a bite. He did manage to eat two salmon cakes, declared his brain felt smarter, and asked for his after-dinner treat. He then dipped his elbow in the couscous. Awesome. The hubs thought the salmon cakes were OK, albeit too many red peppers. But I think in his case, ANY presence of red peppers is too much for him. I thought the salmon was very, very easy to prepare, but the taste was just OK. Nothing special, not revolting. The couscous wasn't anything special.
|One lonely leftover salmon cake, taken post-meal|