For those in the dark like me, tempeh is a firm soy product that packs in a major protein punch. It has a slightly nutty texture and flavor, which was kind of fun to try and pass off as chicken to the kid. I would have tried the same bit with the hubs, but he unpacked the groceries and knew what was headed his way.
Tempeh and Broccolini Stir-Fry
Source: Cooking Light, March 2012
- 1/2 lbs broccolini
- 6 tbsp chopped green onions
- 4.5 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 5 tsp canola oil
- 1 (8-oz) package organic tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 c. diagonally cut snow peas
- 2-2/3 c. hot white rice (used brown)
- 3 tsp chopped peanuts
- Cook broccolini in boiling water for 2 mins or until crisp tender. Drain and plunge into ice water, drain. Squeeze dry. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine 3 tbsp green onions and the next 5 ingredients (through red pepper) in a bowl.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet or wok over med-high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add tempeh; stir-fry for 5 mins or until golden brown on all sides. Remove tempeh from pan, keep warm.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add broccolini and snow peas; stir-fry 2 mins, stirring occasionally. Add tempeh and vinegar mixture to pan; bring to a boil.
- Divide rice evenly among 4 bowls, top with tempeh mixture. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and peanuts.
Yield: 4 servings (2/3 c. rice, 1-1/4 c. tempeh mix; 2 tsp peanuts)
Per serving: 410 cals; 16g fat (2.3 sat, 7.3g mono, 5.1g poly); 18.6g protein; 50.6g carb; 0mg chol; 558mg sodium
The kid thought the chicken had a "funny" texture because it squished apart in his mouth. The hubs declared that the combo of tofu and broccolini would never be a win-win situation for him. Neither finished their portion. I, on the other hand, liked the tempeh. While it does have an interesting flavor and texture, I thought it was overall a good meal. Will I cook this again anytime soon? Probably not. But don't count out the temptation of tempeh (ha ha).
One Fork (only because the boys didn't like it - I thought it was good)
|Fancy pants pic taken with my new iPhone!|